If you open the Printers window or attempt to print from any program, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources.
Back to the top
This issue can occur if a printer driver that is installed on the computer is damaged.
Back to the top
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To resolve this issue, remove printers and printer drivers, and then delete the items that are under certain keys in the registry. Follow these steps:
1. If possible, remove any printers that are listed in the Printers window.
To remove a printer, right-click the printer in the Printers window, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion.
2. In the Printers window, on the File menu, click Server Properties.
3. On the Drivers tab, remove all of the installed printer drivers.
To remove a printer driver, click the driver, click Remove, and then click Yes to confirm.
4. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
5. Export the following registry keys:
6. Delete any items that are listed under the following keys (do not delete the keys themselves):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPrintEnvironmentsWindows NT x86DriversVersion-2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPrintEnvironmentsWindows NT x86DriversVersion-3
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlPrintEnvironmentsWindows NT x86DriversVersion-2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlPrintEnvironmentsWindows NT x86DriversVersion-3
7. Delete any non-default items that are listed under the following keys:
The list of Default monitors includes:
• AppleTalk Printing Devices (When Services for Macintosh is installed)
• BJ Language Monitor
• Local Port
• PJL Language Monitor
• Standard TCP/IP Port
• USB Monitor
• Windows NT Fax Monitor (When a Fax Modem is installed)
8. Delete any items that are listed under the following keys:
9. Quit Registry Editor.
10. Restart your computer, and then reinstall the necessary printers.